Wednesday, 4 June 2014

Modi, Advani, Sonia first to take oath as 16th Lok Sabha members


Prime Minister Narendra Modi, who is also the leader of the Lok Sabha, along with NDA Chairperson LK Advani and UPA Chairperson Sonia Gandhi were the first to take oath as Lok Sabha members.


The oath was administered by Pro-tem Speaker Kamal Nath, who had been sworn in by President Pranab Mukherjee on Wednesday.


Newly elected MPs of the 16th Lok Sabha. PTI

Newly elected MPs of the 16th Lok Sabha. PTI



Interestingly, External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj took oath in Sanskrit.


After the MP takes oath, he/she has to sign the Roll of Members of the House in the presence of the Secretary-General, before taking his/her seat.


Of the 543 Lok Sabha MPs, 315 have been elected to Parliament for the first time.


While the MPs were supposed to take oath on Wednesday, the House unanimously decided to adjourn the sitting as a tribute to Union Minister Gopinath Munde who died in a car crash early on Tuesday morning.


The BJP has confirmed that MP Sumitra Mahajan from Indore will be the next Speaker of the House.


This is the full text of the oath:


"I (name) having been elected (or nominated) a member of the House of the People do swear in the name of God/solemnly affirm that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the Constitution of India as by law established, that I will uphold the sovereignty and integrity of India and that I will faithfully discharge the duty upon which I am about to enter.”






Categories:

0 comments:

Post a Comment